Fundamentals of Stock Markets
COURSE TIME: ± 3 hour
- A Certificate of Completion can be earned
Part A - Introduction & Basics
- About myself
- My Passion & Journey so far
- The focus of the session – Demystifying Stock Markets
- The Basics
- What is a Stock Market?
- How is the market created?
- Key Functions of a Stock Exchange?
- Who Runs a Stock Exchange?
- Who participates in the stock market (Investors, Traders, Speculators)
- Understanding 15 Key Terms - (Index, Portfolio, Volatility, Dollar Cost Averaging, Arbitrage, Blue Chips, Risk, Leverage, Margin Trading, Day Trading, Short Selling, DMAT, Dividends, Share Buy-Back, Bonus Issue, Rights Issue.)
- Equity Shares and Other Financial Instruments
- What is an equity share?
- Owning shares of a company
- Different types of equity shares (Common stock, preferred stock, Warrants, ETFs (Focus))
- Understanding CFDs
- Where does equity sit in the overall asset class Matrix
- Debt Vs Equity Shares
- IPO - Who issues shares & What happens after the IPO
Part B – Investing in Stock Markets
- Understanding Equity Shares
- How are shares quoted on an Exchange?
- How to make sense of a price of a company?
- What attributes of a stock are important for investors?
- What happens when you buy a stock?
- Understanding Custody of shares
- Understanding Risk
- Investing Vs Trading
- Understanding Risk
- Who is an Investor?
- Investor’s objective and how can it be achieved?
- Investor’s Tools
- Who is a Trader?
- Trader’s objective and how can it be achieved?
- Trader’s Tools
- Trading vs Investing – What fits in your agenda
- Global Stock Exchanges (Snapshot) - NYSE, Nasdaq, CME, LSE, HKSE, SGX, NSE
- The Case for Equities – Understand the Imperatives
- The Historical Performance
- Comparing returns from asset classes
- The Legends
- Simple DIY investments
Lecture Preview: Understanding the Stock Exchange Ecosystem
Hi I'm Amit Sahi
A Strategic thinker with 15+ years of enriched capital market experience, Amit began his career with the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) where he headed the index products business.
He has been associated with leading exchanges in the UAE, India, and Mauritius. Amit is also a private investor with a niche in identifying emerging businesses. He enjoys a strong network of professional relations in the financial industry in the Middle East, Indian Subcontinent, and Mauritius.
Most recently, Amit has worked with Nasdaq Dubai in developing and managing local and regional equity derivatives.
He also led the introduction of 'Global Single Stock Futures' on the platform.